Sea Kayaking Mull

We left work at 4pm and made our way for the Ferry at Oban. It was a special day for H turning 30! We celebrated with a meal at the Inn at Inverbeg on the way up. The steak is worth every penny!

After a great meal we headed for Oban to catch the 22.30 ferry. This was a great time to sail with the sun setting over Oban and the small Isles. We boarded the Caledonian Macbrayne ferry heading for Craignure on the Isle of Mull.

40 minutes later we were driving the single track roads to Fidden Farm campsite on the Ross of Mull. We were greeted with a fairly strong coastal wind which did not help putting the tent up! As it was H's birthday and she was suffering from severe sun burn she elected to stay in the van and laugh at me and my Dad holding on for dear life to the tent! Soon it was off to bed at 1.00. Learning about the golden hours of light off Colin Prior I could not resist setting the alarm for a 4.00 shoot. So I did and it was totally worth it!

Back to bed for a couple of hours hoping the wind would drop for our paddle. After breakfast it was time to assess. Having ordered a double sea kayak it had not arrived in time for the trip so we were in singles. H elected to take the ferry across to Iona not fancying the trip in a force 4-5. So it was me and my Dad to brave the crossing to the Abbey. It was fun!

Once across the other side we put on our tourist clothes and had a guided tour around the Abbey. Although not religious I felt that there was something special about this place. The history of St Columba is fascinating. Soon it was time to head back to the campsite. Surfing all the way wind against tide! Back at the campsite the rain visited, so it was tea then off to bed to catch up from my early morning shoot. Dad was very proud of his shelter that proved invaluable when cooking tea in the rain!

When we awoke from our evening siesta we could not believe the conditions or the view. H was itching to go for a paddle so we decided to visit the southern tip of Iona for the sunset.

We were not disappointed. I decided to take the DSLR on land for a view over the western side of Iona only to find myself lost with fading light! The picture was worth it ! We made our way back under moon light, marks and head torch light. It was an experience to remember!

It had been one of those days you live for! In the morning it was time to visit Tinkers Hole. A popular mooring place for any sailor in these waters.

Dad decided to do a bit of fishing and as usual caught nothing. The sun was beating down so me and H made the most of it!

Soon it was time to head back to pack up and catch the ferry at 17.00 from Craignure. Dad had fond memories of the chocolate cake at Duart Castle so we had to visit! A cup of tea and cake later we headed for the ferry home.

On the ferry we all agreed that Mull would hold many adventures in the future.

Dedicated to H and her milestone of a birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment